So, you’ve woken up with small red bites on your arms, legs, or face, but your spouse is free from those itchy bites. You may be tempted to think that you just had a reaction to your new soap, and that could be true, but you need to keep in mind that some people have more intense reactions to bed bug bites than others, and your best bet is to schedule a bed bug inspection in your Seattle home as soon as you can.
Around 70% of people will have a reaction to bed bugs, but what about the other 30%? Why don’t they have to deal with those itchy red bites? One study suggests that a big reason why some people don’t have a reaction is age. This study found that the older individuals who were exposed to bed bugs were less likely to report a bite or or a reaction. This is most likely due to the fact that, as we get older, our immune systems start to become less responsive to allergens. Another reason as to why some people don’t have a reaction could be medication. Some medications, like those containing corticosteroids, can suppress the immune system.
Just as we all have different reactions to certain allergens and insect bites, you and your spouse may not have the same reaction to bed bugs. So, if you wake up with small, itchy, red bites on your arms, legs, and face and your spouse gets away without so much as one red bump, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you don’t have bed bugs. Do the cautious thing, and schedule your bed bug inspection right away.